Chemex 6 Cup Brew Guide
Chemex Brew Guide
- 6 Cup Chemex coffeemaker
- Chemex paper filter
- Coffee grinder
- Water kettle
- Your favorite freshly roasted FreeForm Coffee
- 6 Cup Chemex
- 40g/ ~ 6 Tbsp coffee
- Medium-coarse grind (a little finer than Kosher salt)
- 200*F / 93* C water
- 4:30-5:00 total brew time
- Makes 2 servings
- Place paper filter in Chemex and rinse with hot water, dump water.
- Add ground coffee to filter, shake to level grounds.
- Place Chemex on scale and tare (reset weight to zero).
- Start timer and pour hot water over grounds in a slow circular motion until scale reads 100 grams.
- Allow grounds to fully saturate with water for ~30 seconds. Optional: use a tool to gently stir the slurry.
- At 0:30 – add 180g of water (280g total) in same circular motion.
- At 1:30 – add 180g of water (460g total) in same circular motion.
- At 2:30 – add 180g of water (640g total) in same circular motion.
- Once you’ve reached 640 grams, you’re done pouring. When the coffee finishes dripping, it’s ready!
- Aim for the entire brewing process to complete in 4:30-5 minutes.
- If your brew time is shorter, grind finer next time. If it’s longer, grind coarser. Experiment, have fun… it’s just coffee!