Positively Charged Coffee
From college campus coffee carts to a decade of owning and operating one of Sedona’s busiest cafes, we have had a 20 year-long love affair with working in coffee. In 2018, we realized a long-held dream of building our own coffee roastery, to further dive into our obsession for the ultimate cup. During the turbulent year of 2020, we made the leap to dedicate our focus entirely on coffee roasting as our full-time endeavor. FreeForm Coffee emerged to invite more fun, creativity, and inspiration to our lives and our community – united by the simple pleasures of great coffee and the pursuit of positivity. We hope you'll enjoy the dedication and care we put into every batch we roast and join us in our pursuit of Positively Charged Coffee.
- Ethical and Quality-Focused Sourcing – Coffee serves to awaken our mind and invigorate our senses, but it can also be an agent for positive change in society and our natural environment. As a roaster, we acknowledge our vital role in the global coffee economy and the impact our green coffee sourcing can make. We strive to do our part to raise awareness for equitability in all sectors of the coffee production chain by supporting farmers and importers who value the environment, human ethics, and fair trade, while producing the highest quality specialty coffees.
- Community Driven – We believe that coffee, food, and shared experiences unite us and allow for a deeper appreciation of the human experience. We believe that our best contribution toward building a stronger community is by connecting individuals in a meaningful way, and people gathering with coffee is one of the greatest time-tested forms of daily connection. Just as coffee awakens our physical body, we believe that it can also awaken the human spirit. As a core part of our mission, we actively engage in sharing inspiring stories of people pursuing creativity in their lives as well as honoring the hard-working farmers whose efforts make this simple pleasure possible.
- Family-Owned – We are independently owned and operated by 3rd Generation Arizonans, born-and-raised in Sedona. The health and vibrancy of our community is our priority.
- Quality Guaranteed – You can be assured that we will always go to the greatest lengths to source only the highest-quality green beans, dedicate ourselves to the highest levels of craftsmanship, and provide you the absolute best cup of coffee.
We hand roast our coffees in small batches on an American-made San Franciscan SF-25 Coffee Roaster in our roasting facility in the historic Brewer Road district of Sedona, Arizona. All coffees are roasted fresh to-order on a weekly basis. Our schedule of operation:
- All orders received by midnight on Tuesdays will be roasted on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
- Orders are delivered or shipped by Fridays (at the latest).
Enjoying Your Coffee
Freshly roasted coffee is best enjoyed, you guessed it, fresh! Every bag we roast is dated with it's roast date. We recommend ordering coffee that you can consume within a month. If ordering ground coffee, please mention your intended brewing method in the order notes section of your shopping cart, and bear in mind that pre-ground coffee should be enjoyed within 2 weeks of grinding.
Grinding your coffee at the time of brewing is one of the best ways to improve the quality of your coffee. We carry a few different options for grinders in our Coffee Gear section of the site, and highly recommend that you make a quality grinder your first investment in your coffee set up!
Brewing techniques are varied and plentiful - you may decide to choose one method for all of your brewing, or perhaps experiment with many different tools. Each brewing technique provides a different level of convenience, mouthfeel, and flavor profile. Testing different methods with different coffees is a fun and endless exploration of the limitless flavor potential of specialty coffee.
For all brewing techniques, we recommend you use a scale to ensure a proper coffee-to-water ratio. A great starting point is 1:16, which simply means 1 part ground coffee (usually measured in grams) to 16 parts water (also measured by weight). For example, if you are brewing 2 cups of coffee in a 6-Cup Chemex you may want to start with 40g of coffee and a total of 640g of water. As this is just a recommended starting point, we encourage you to adjust the brew ratio and grind size to find a brewed cup that is just right for you.
We are proud to be distributors of some of our favorite brewing tools! Below are a few recommendations:
- Classic home batch brewer - OXO 9 Cup Coffee Maker. This is one of, if not the, first SCA (Specialty Coffee Association) recommended home auto drip brewers. Affordable, easy to use, and produces quality coffee with convenience. If you don't want to fuss with manual brewers and/or typically make more than 1 or 2 cups at a time, this is the unit for you!
- Everyday manual brewer - Chemex Coffee Maker. Equally beautiful and functional, Chemex is our brewing method of choice for 1 or two cups of coffee. They are a delight to use, look great on your counter, and produce a balanced, clean (but not too light) cup of excellent coffee.
- Single serving pour over - Hario V60-02 Coffee Dripper. Along with the Chemex, Hario's V60 Dripper is a tried and true option for manual brewing. The 02 size is perfect for a single cup of coffee, and the V60 tends to produce some of the cleanest, best filtered coffee we've tried. We particularly prefer the V60 for lighter roasts and natural processed coffees, as it tends to highlight those delicate fruit and floral notes.
- Rich, full-bodied brewing - French Press. One of the easiest brewing devices is also one of the most popular. Take your french press brewing to another level by weighing your coffee and water according the suggested ratio mentioned above. We like French Press for medium to dark roasted coffees or when we desire a cup that is fuller bodied.
- Travel and off-grid brewing - Aeropress Go Coffeemaker. This super convenient all-in-one coffeemaker has become incredibly popular not only for brewing on the go, but at home as well. Aeropress tends to brew a cup that is a lighter body and highlights acidity in clean, crisp coffees. We recommend Aeropress for any coffee, but particularly light to medium roasts.
Connect with Us!
At the moment, we are strictly a production roastery without a retail outlet or coffee shop. We intend to build an adjoining coffee bar, but we recognize that it will take time to get there. In the meantime, we'd love to connect with you virtually or in person. Please feel free to email us or reach out over social media, we'd love to hear from you. Roastery tours are available by appointment, please don't hesitate to let us know if you'd like to see our operation.
If you are looking to purchase a bag or two locally, please visit one of our amazing partners in town.
Thank you for visiting and for your support of locally roasted coffee!
- Daniel & Monica Garland